Minimum proof of identity documents
For proof of identity 4 documents are required:
1x Commencement of Identity document,
1x Primary use in the community document, and
2x Secondary use in the community documents.
Commencement of identity documents
The following identity documents fit into the Commencement of identity category (you must use 1 document from this category).
- full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card)
- current Australian passport (not expired)
- Australian visa current at time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist
- ImmiCard issued by Department of Home Affairs (previously the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) that enables the cardholder to prove their visa and/or migration status and enroll in services
- certificate of identity issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia
- document of identity issued by DFAT to Australian citizens or persons who have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes
- certificate of evidence of resident status.
Primary use in the community documents
The following documents fit into the Primary use in the community category (you must use 1 document from this category).
- current Australian drivers licence, learner permit or provisional licence issued by a state or territory, showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed
- Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or cele-brant-issued certificates are not accepted)
- current passport issued by a country other than Australia with a valid entry stamp or visa
- current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agen-cy in the name of the applicant, with a signature and photo.
Secondary use in the community documents
The following identity documents fit into the Secondary use in the community documents category (you must use 2 documents from this category).
- certificate of identity issued by DFAT
- document of identity issued by DFAT
- convention travel document secondary (United Nations) issued by DFAT
- foreign government issued documents (for example, drivers licence)
- Medicare card
- enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission
- security guard or crowd control photo licence
- evidence of right to an Australian government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs)
- consular photo identity card issued by DFAT
- photo identity card issued to an officer by a police force
- photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force
- photo identity card issued by the Australian Government or a state or territory government
- Aviation Security Identification Card
- Maritime Security Identification card
- credit reference check
- Australian tertiary student photo identity document
- Australian secondary student photo identity document
- certified academic transcript from an Australian university
- trusted referees report
- bank card
- credit card.